Friday, March 26, 2010

Home again

Ah...it is good to be home.

We left the hotel in Beijing at noon on the 25th. Our guide then took us to the Pearl Market. It was similar in fashion to the silk market, only on a much smaller scale. The top floor was "authentic and guaranteed" pearls. Very expensive. There were pictures of presidents and first ladies from around the world that shopped there. The other levels had a variety of goods - jewelry, clothes, purses, electronics, etc. I was able to get a camera battery for my camera and I bought a purple purse Dolce & Gabana (sp?) that I'll probably use as a "trendy" diaper bag.

Then we went to a Chinese pharmacy for a lecture on Chinese medicine. They offered us a free health inspection. I wasn't going to do it, but then when the doctor was commenting on chest pains, back pains, internal body temperature (just by checking the patients' pulse and looking at their tongue) I thought maybe if he checks my pulse and looks at my tongue he can give me a Chinese prescription for ingrown toenails! But, no luck. My diagnosis...I'm overweight. And I bet he really didn't need to look at my tongue or take my pulse to determine that! I opted not to get the pills that they offered. :P

Then it was off to the airport. We arrived quite early, but it was good that we did because it took us a long time to check in.

Violet was awake for the first three of hours on the flight. I tried to get her to fall asleep, but it wasn't working. So I tried a little trick. I got Roger to come sit beside her while I went to the bathroom. She started crying even before I left and I could hear her the whole time I was gone (not long). But when I came back she snuggled in and fell right to sleep. (The mean part is that I didn't really NEED to use the washroom.) She then slept for the next 7 hours of the flight and was awake for the last two. She didn't really cry at all and was charming the passengers around us.

Then in Toronto we got through Custons and Immigration. We had to rush to make our connecting flight to Fredericton, but we did it. (Not without some hassle at the security check when Roger forgot his briefcase and had to rush back to find it and go through a huge extra security check.)

Violet slept through the take off and most of the flight. She woke up after we got back on the ground. Family was waiting to meet us at the airport and it was SO good to see everyone. Violet was quite quiet.

Then we were on our way home - with a quick stop for supper at McDonalds. Violet likes McDonalds fries.

When we got home we discovered that Violet DOES NOT like our cat. This morning was even worse. Violet SCREAMS if the cat comes near her. But other than that she is settling in well. We were all able to get some sleep last night.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Home! I'm so glad everyone made it safe and healthy.
    LOL re the McDonalds fries...a true kid at heart..

    ReplyDelete

Someday Mom

As a girl I had a common dream, to be a mom someday.

My baby would have eyes of blue and hair the hue of hay.

But now my dreams have been transformed. New visions fill my head.

Now the tresses that I long to stroke are raven black instead.

And in my dreams those eyes are not so big or blue or round.

Now in my dreams they're almond shape and colored cocoa brown.

And in my dream my arms can stretch across enormous seas.

They reach half-way around the world and hold you close to me.

As you grow in your mother's womb, carefully knit together,

Your also growing in my heart, where you will stay forever.

And in my dreams the moment that your mother says good-bye,

I'll be right there to comfort you and hold you as you cry.

Our features may not look alike; we're different as can be.

But still I know the Father has created you for me.

And though I've not yet seen your face, or held your tiny hands,

And though we're half a world apart in very different lands.

I'll be right there to get you just as soon as God allows.

But til he says the time is right I give to you this vow.

I'll pray for your protection every night on bended knee

for God will hold you in his arms, until you're home with me!