Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wednesday

My grown-up China doll

My baby China doll


Last Update?

I'm thinking that this will be my last blog entry from China. Today we are spending the rest of the day at the hotel - probably a visit to the pool later on. Tomorrow we will check out at noon. Then go to a couple of markets and a Chinese pharmacy for a lecture on Chinese medicine. That will give us something to do to fill the time until we have to be at the airport. Our flight leaves Beijing at 6:50 pm - that would be 7:50 am Atlantic Time. Our flight is scheduled to arrive at the Fredericton airport at 11:59 pm. Roger says that anyone who is interested in being up at midnight and would like to see us arrive home is welcome to come.

This morning we went to the Silk Market here in Beijing. It used to be an open air market, but with the Olympics in 2008 they put it into a building.There were 7 floors...that we know off. The stores were similar in size to what you would see at an exhibition for a booth. They were probably only 7 feet wide by 9 feet deep (some were bigger). And the aisle was quite narrow. We were not able to walk 3 side by side. Roger was pushing Violet in her stroller and I was holding her hand. Tori walked behind me.

Ray gave us some advice before we arrived. He said that there were three prices - the sticker price, the price they would settle for for foreigners and the price they would settle for for Chinese people. He said that whatever price they quoted first to offer 50 to 75% less than that. Never pay more than 50% than what they quote. I remember my days in Africa and bartering. I had loved it. So I was ready to see if I still had the "gift".

My first purchase I was quoted 400 RMB. I paid 40 for it. :D I still had the touch. The trick is to walk away.

As you are walking down the aisles the merchants are calling out to you. Tori said that she prefers shopping at the mall over the silk market.

My favourite quote of the day was when a merchant said to Roger, "I can see that your wife likes a bargain." Oh, baby, if that ain't the truth!

We were able to get some Chinese style clothing for Roger and myself. Tori got a very pretty silk shirt. And we got a few clothing articles for Violet, too. But it wasn't all traditional clothing. There was a lot of brand name clothing - like Columbia jackets. I'm not big on brand names, so I didn't even recognize a lot of them.

Tori was thinking that I should have blinders on.

When we were finished we didn't see Ray and Fiona. So we decided to head back on our own. The thing I was most nervous about was crossing the streets. But, obviously, we made it back!

Thank you everyone for your support on this amazing journey of ours. We are so pleased that we will soon be home with our family complete. We'd appreciate your prayers for a safe journey home and that we'll all be able to rest on the flight. See you soon!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful China Dolls :D

    Wow you sure are good at bartering....40 from 400.....that's like 10% !....bet that's way better than the Chinese sticker price even was. Sounds like fun. :)

    Wow, one amazing journey has come to an end and a new one is just about to begin. Praying that you have a safe and restful trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Patti, what a journey you have had! Thank you for including us in it through your blog, it has been a joy to follow your activities. We can't wait to meet your little China Doll. We are praying that you all have a great trip back to Canada.

    ReplyDelete

Someday Mom

As a girl I had a common dream, to be a mom someday.

My baby would have eyes of blue and hair the hue of hay.

But now my dreams have been transformed. New visions fill my head.

Now the tresses that I long to stroke are raven black instead.

And in my dreams those eyes are not so big or blue or round.

Now in my dreams they're almond shape and colored cocoa brown.

And in my dream my arms can stretch across enormous seas.

They reach half-way around the world and hold you close to me.

As you grow in your mother's womb, carefully knit together,

Your also growing in my heart, where you will stay forever.

And in my dreams the moment that your mother says good-bye,

I'll be right there to comfort you and hold you as you cry.

Our features may not look alike; we're different as can be.

But still I know the Father has created you for me.

And though I've not yet seen your face, or held your tiny hands,

And though we're half a world apart in very different lands.

I'll be right there to get you just as soon as God allows.

But til he says the time is right I give to you this vow.

I'll pray for your protection every night on bended knee

for God will hold you in his arms, until you're home with me!