Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tuesday

Today I woke up feeling fine! Hooray!!!

We thought we were going to have a short day touring, but it actually was quite long. So I'm glad I was feeling fine.

We started by going to Tiananmen Square. It is the largest city square in the world. It also contains their parliament so we got to see that today. The square had tight security. We had to go through a security check before we entered (scanned bags, etc) however, Tingting told us to just keep going. She put her bag up but told us we didn't have to. There were video cameras everywhere. Tingting told us there were undercover police officers everywhere, too. Ray was nervous about opening his backpack and taking out his thermos to make up Logan's bottle. Tingting stood beside him and said she would explain if anyone questioned him.

Then we went to a pearl factory. These were freshwater pearls taken from oysters from Kunming Lake from the Summer Palace. Ainsleigh netted an oyster out of a pond and we guessed how many pearls were in it. Can you believe 26 pearls? Tori and Ainsleigh each got to keep one of the pearls out of the oyster that they opened for us.

Then we went to the Summer Palace. We actually walked in a corridor that is in the Guinness Book of World Records. The corridor at the Summer Palace is the longest in the world. So today we were in two of the "world's largest" places. (city square and corridor)

On our way to our dinner (which is now in the mid-afternoon) we passed by the Olympic Stadium. That was cool to see.

Then it was to the restaurant for our Peking Duck meal. I thought it tasted like chicken, but Roger didn't really. Violet didn't like it. She would spit it out of her mouth - even if there was other food in there - she would only spit out the duck. They just kept bringing dishes of food, and more food and more food! And I was eating very lite because I wanted to take it easy on my stomach.

Now we're back at the hotel for a relaxing evening. Tori wants to go swimming. Since we had a late lunch I imagine we'll only have snacks for supper. Tomorrow we'll going to go with the Chongs to the Silk Market. Since they haven't been buying souvenirs hardly at all (waiting for the silk market) I hope to find some good deals there!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had an exciting day...glad you were able to enjoy it with everyone else and not feel like you had to stay at the hotel.

    I had to smile re Violet mimicing you. Autumn was also two when Liam was born so I have pictures of her putting her dollies in the snuggly; taking her doll potty (like Wynn); and breastfeeding her doll...:D SO CUTE:)

    ReplyDelete

Someday Mom

As a girl I had a common dream, to be a mom someday.

My baby would have eyes of blue and hair the hue of hay.

But now my dreams have been transformed. New visions fill my head.

Now the tresses that I long to stroke are raven black instead.

And in my dreams those eyes are not so big or blue or round.

Now in my dreams they're almond shape and colored cocoa brown.

And in my dream my arms can stretch across enormous seas.

They reach half-way around the world and hold you close to me.

As you grow in your mother's womb, carefully knit together,

Your also growing in my heart, where you will stay forever.

And in my dreams the moment that your mother says good-bye,

I'll be right there to comfort you and hold you as you cry.

Our features may not look alike; we're different as can be.

But still I know the Father has created you for me.

And though I've not yet seen your face, or held your tiny hands,

And though we're half a world apart in very different lands.

I'll be right there to get you just as soon as God allows.

But til he says the time is right I give to you this vow.

I'll pray for your protection every night on bended knee

for God will hold you in his arms, until you're home with me!