Monday, March 22, 2010

Tuesday - early morning

Tuesday early morning

It is 5:30 am Tuesday morning and this is the latest that I've slept since arriving in China. The pharmacist said that the nighttime cold medication they got for me would help me sleep. I can't really attribute my good rest to that, however, since I fell asleep before taking one last night.

So the good news is that my stomach is not upset this morning and I don't think I have a fever. (I'm not going to search in the dark to look for the thermometer to check.) Everyone else is still sleeping.

Yesterday I wasn't sure if I would be leaving the hotel again until it was time to head for Canada. That was how bad I felt. But today is a new day. I also discovered that staying in our hotel room with a two year old, really isn't the most "restful" experience.

Yesterday Roger and Tori went to the Temple of Heaven in the afternoon and Violet and I stayed at the hotel. Thankfully I was able to get a little nap in before they left, because I certainly didn't have opportunity when they were gone. Violet is a typical two year old and loves to explore and play with things. Like the telephone on the bedside table. Thankfully I caught her before she placed any calls. But there was once I wondered if front desk would ring the room to see if I needed assistance making a call! She also likes to eat, but only seems to have good manners when she is sitting in a high chair. Otherwise the food seems to go everywhere. She is quite entertaining, though. And she learns very quickly. For example, whenever she saw the thermometer yesterday she would pick it up and hold it to her ear. I didn't take my temperature that much, so she caught on very quickly how it is supposed to be used. The other action of mine that she copied was whenever she passed the garbage can by my side of the bed she would lean over it, cough, and then spit. I don't think any explanation is necessary for what she was mimicing then.

When Roger and Tori got back from the Temple of Heaven they said Tingting was waiting for them downstairs and she was going to take them to pick up some food. The hotel food here is not the same as in Fuzhou. Nothing to really appeal to a sick Westerner. I thought maybe Tori would stay with Violet and me, but she wanted to go with Roger. Can you believe it? She WANTED to go shopping.

Before she left she gave Violet her birthday card that plays "Bibbity Bobbity Boo". Roger figured they would be about 1/2 an hour and then they would be back. Well, for 1/2 an hour Violet and I laid in bed and listened to Bibbity Bobbity Boo. I tried to teach her to say "More" for when she wanted to hear it again. But instead she would sit up and slap the card. (I showed her that you need to press on the button to make it play.) We were both getting sleepy and soon the slaps were less forceful. I played it a couple of more times and we both fell asleep. I'm not sure if how much longer it was until Roger and Tori came back.

Roger got some soup for me and noodles for the rest of them. The soup tasted delicious and I was able to keep it down. Hooray! Violet is like her sister and really enjoys the ramen noodles.

Today we are to meet Tingting in the hotel lobby at 9 am. We will be going to Tiananmen Square and the Summer Palace. Lunch will be Peking Duck. I believe I will go today. We will be able to use the stroller, I hope. Which means I don't need to carry Violet - just walk beside her holding her hand. (That is the only way we can pacify her to stay in the stroller.) And, as I discovered yesterday, I don't get much rest staying at the hotel. I'll take my medication for my stomach with me - just in case I need it.

Even though I probably won't eat much (taking it easy on the stomach) I do want to try the Peking Duck. Tingting told us that to be a hero there are two things you must do - climb the Great Wall and eat Peking Duck.

After we get back to the hotel this afternoon I'll send some pictures and let you know how the day went.

Thank you, everyone, for your prayers. I know that it was only by God's strength that I was able to get through our appointments yesterday. I'm glad today is looking much better.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are feeling better...as far as the duck,we loved it,hope you are able to enjoy some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PTL!! Glad to hear you are feeling better...I'll pray you don't get sick "again". No one likes to be sick anytime but when you are away on a trip that has got to be the worst.
    I had the laugh re your comments about not much rest staying at the hotel with a 2 year old. I say the same thing to Cliff all the time re home vs going to work...I go to work for a vacation (rest)...LOL
    Hope you continue to feel good and enjoy the day. Looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Someday Mom

As a girl I had a common dream, to be a mom someday.

My baby would have eyes of blue and hair the hue of hay.

But now my dreams have been transformed. New visions fill my head.

Now the tresses that I long to stroke are raven black instead.

And in my dreams those eyes are not so big or blue or round.

Now in my dreams they're almond shape and colored cocoa brown.

And in my dream my arms can stretch across enormous seas.

They reach half-way around the world and hold you close to me.

As you grow in your mother's womb, carefully knit together,

Your also growing in my heart, where you will stay forever.

And in my dreams the moment that your mother says good-bye,

I'll be right there to comfort you and hold you as you cry.

Our features may not look alike; we're different as can be.

But still I know the Father has created you for me.

And though I've not yet seen your face, or held your tiny hands,

And though we're half a world apart in very different lands.

I'll be right there to get you just as soon as God allows.

But til he says the time is right I give to you this vow.

I'll pray for your protection every night on bended knee

for God will hold you in his arms, until you're home with me!