Sunday, March 28, 2010

Settling In

We all seem to be adjusting okay to home life here.

On Friday we made a quick trip to town - to pick up some groceries and for Roger to take paperwork in for his parental leave. Violet did exceptionally well in the car seat. I'm very happy about that.

We had company stop by Friday evening. My sister, Jolie, and her kids were here for a bit. My nephew, DJ, stayed for the evening. We were eating supper when they arrived and Violet was quite shy. She held her head very low. They waiting in the livingroom while we finished eating. Then my brother, Dave, and his family came. Violet warmed up to DJ and Charlie and got down on the floor playing with them and Tori. My biggest surprise of the night was when Violet gave Aunti Joni a goodbye kiss. It was so sweet!

DJ and Violet had a bath together and there was lots of splashing and lots of laughter. It was so cute when DJ was prompting her to say words and then exclaimed, "I should have brought some M&Ms!" When the girls came back after youth group Violet played shy again by holding her hands over her eyes. She fell asleep on my lap like that.

Then she was awake from midnight to 4 am. Thankfully, she was able to fall back to sleep. Around 2:30 Roger got up to put some wood in the fire, Violet saw the glow of the cell-phone as it was charging on the nightstand. She picked it up and held it to her ear and started jabbering away. When Roger came back up she was sitting on the bed using the nightstand as a table. She had a hand full of business cards and it looked like she was dealing them out. Roger commented, "She looks like a card shark." I told him to just wait, she'd soon call in her bet. And sure enough, she picked up the cellphone and talked away on it.

Saturday was my dad's 70th birthday. We went to their place for a party. Violet was quite quiet to begin with, but then warmed up to everyone. She even fed Aunty Jan raisins. She loved playing with Lindsay, Candice and Grammie with the coloring book and stickers. She fell asleep before we left. She woke up when we put her in the car seat and cried for a bit. Then fell back to sleep. She stayed asleep when we got home and I held her on the couch. My cousin popped in for a quick visit. Violet stayed asleep. She slept through my supper preparations, but we decided we'd better wake her up so her nighttime sleep wouldn't be messed up. That didn't go very well. She cried as I put her in the high chair. I thought she would stop when I held her, but she didn't. I ended up taking her upstairs on the bed (so she wouldn't hurt herself when she thrashed) and she cried (aka - screamed) for at least 45 minutes. I tried holding her, laying her down, rubbing her back...nothing seemed to soothe her. When Roger came up he said, "It almost sounds like she's saying "Pick me up"." So I picked her up again and she stopped crying. She was laying there with her eyes closed and Roger lightly kissed her on the head. She started screaming again. Within a few more minutes she had calmed down enough to sleep. That was around 7:30 pm. It is now quarter to 3 in the morning, and she's still sleeping. I had to get up and get something to eat since I missed supper! Now, I'm heading back to bed to see if I can get back to sleep. Good night, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Someday Mom

As a girl I had a common dream, to be a mom someday.

My baby would have eyes of blue and hair the hue of hay.

But now my dreams have been transformed. New visions fill my head.

Now the tresses that I long to stroke are raven black instead.

And in my dreams those eyes are not so big or blue or round.

Now in my dreams they're almond shape and colored cocoa brown.

And in my dream my arms can stretch across enormous seas.

They reach half-way around the world and hold you close to me.

As you grow in your mother's womb, carefully knit together,

Your also growing in my heart, where you will stay forever.

And in my dreams the moment that your mother says good-bye,

I'll be right there to comfort you and hold you as you cry.

Our features may not look alike; we're different as can be.

But still I know the Father has created you for me.

And though I've not yet seen your face, or held your tiny hands,

And though we're half a world apart in very different lands.

I'll be right there to get you just as soon as God allows.

But til he says the time is right I give to you this vow.

I'll pray for your protection every night on bended knee

for God will hold you in his arms, until you're home with me!