Tuesday, March 16, 2010

West Lake - Tuesday

This morning Roger and I wondered if our walk in the park was going to be cancelled. Our guide was taking us to West Lake Park – which is right by our hotel. ////][[-z\xztg gaw (little message there from Violet) Early this morning Roger and I heard thunder and when I looked out the window we noticed that it was raining. We figured that would be the end of our walking trip.

When we went down to the lobby at 10 I asked Isabel if we were still going and she said yes. It had stopped raining by that point. We had tried Violet again in the stroller after breakfast and she was not impressed. So we didn't take the stroller. I had meant to grab the snuggly carrier and forgot it.

West Lake Park is 1700 years old. It was constructed for the Emperor – I believe Isabel said as a summer retreat. But Roger and I can't imagine someone retreating to here in the summer as it stays at 40 degrees Celsius for 2 months!

The weather was cooler this morning because of the rain. But it wasn't long carrying my little girl that I started to warm up!

The park was really pretty with pathways, pagodas, and flowers. Then Isabel asked us if we wanted to visit Panda World. There was a fee, but it was an opportunity to see real, live pandas! (Just a little over $10 Canadian for the entrance fee.) Violet had fallen asleep by this point and the Chongs had offered us the use of their stroller. She woke up soon after we put her in the stroller, but she was content as long as she held my hand.

Even though there were a lot of stairs in Panda World the use of the stroller was GREATLY appreciated. Maybe now Violet will get in her stroller – as long as she can hold Mama's hand. Roger and Tori took pictures for us.

We are noticing the stares that we are getting from people. I think it is more noticeable to Roger than me. Maybe because of my years in Africa??? I just smile at people and nod my head when they look at us. (Me? Smile?? Go figure. :D) But we had a very positive response today. One lady in a kiosk in the park smiled and nodded her head at us. Then she gave us a thumbs up sign. At first Roger figured it was because she was happy that Violet would not have to spend her life in an orphanage. Then as we got talking about it, we thought perhaps it was because we had her dressed warmly.

After we got back to the hotel we made plans to go to a Temple tomorrow. We're leaving at 9:30 in the morning.

Isabel gave us Violet's immunization records. She took them yesterday and translated them for us. Then she said that she had something else for our family. She dug in her purse and pulled out a wrapped package. She said, "This is for you because your birthday is coming on Friday." It was wrapped in purple paper with white polka dots and there were stickers over it. And sticker letters that spelled out "VIOLET". Inside was a CD with Chinese children's songs. We had looked for a CD yesterday at Walmart and Isabel didn't see anything that she thought would be what we were looking for. So she found one later in the day for us. So special!

Fiona, Ray and the kids came to our room this afternoon to send an e-mail. The kids had lots of fun playing together. I was very impressed that Violet was sharing her toys with Logan. (Especially when she handed him her Kai-lan doll! She also seemed to like the extra stimulation, so family gatherings should be fine for her!

She had fun playing with Tori this afternoon. Tori is a doting big sister and can't stand to see Violet upset. She is VERY helpful, too.

Even though I was out of commission last night (my body crashed and I slept all evening long) Violet is still very much a Mommy's girl. Isabel mentioned today that it is like she wants to make sure that I'm not leaving her. (Which breaks my heart to think of children with that insecurity. But I know that is not limited to Chinese orphans…Tori was EXACTLY the same way.)

I put Violet's "split pants" back on her this afternoon as a safety precaution. Her little waist is so small that the size 18 months pants were sliding off her. I was afraid she was going to trip. The split pants were what she was wearing on Sunday night when we received her.

She is smiling and laughing a lot now. (Well, right now she is sleeping on my lap.) She seems to delight in making us laugh, too. (Just like the report that we got in her referral.) And it seems to be working. I don't think I've heard Tori laugh as much as has these past two days.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are all having a great time. How special to receive the CD of Chinese Children's songs :D Does Violet speak much in Chinese yet? You'll be able to learn together. I'm so happy for all of you :_-) (tears of joy!)

    ReplyDelete

Someday Mom

As a girl I had a common dream, to be a mom someday.

My baby would have eyes of blue and hair the hue of hay.

But now my dreams have been transformed. New visions fill my head.

Now the tresses that I long to stroke are raven black instead.

And in my dreams those eyes are not so big or blue or round.

Now in my dreams they're almond shape and colored cocoa brown.

And in my dream my arms can stretch across enormous seas.

They reach half-way around the world and hold you close to me.

As you grow in your mother's womb, carefully knit together,

Your also growing in my heart, where you will stay forever.

And in my dreams the moment that your mother says good-bye,

I'll be right there to comfort you and hold you as you cry.

Our features may not look alike; we're different as can be.

But still I know the Father has created you for me.

And though I've not yet seen your face, or held your tiny hands,

And though we're half a world apart in very different lands.

I'll be right there to get you just as soon as God allows.

But til he says the time is right I give to you this vow.

I'll pray for your protection every night on bended knee

for God will hold you in his arms, until you're home with me!